Thursday, August 2, 2007

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!!!


That's right! A week to raise awareness about breastfeeding worldwide! Happy World Breastfeeding Week!

I am still breastfeeding The Boy at seven and a half months, and I am proud of it. Fortunately, I have not had any serious problems or situations arising from breastfeeding in public, but not everyone is so lucky!

In the U.S.A. breastfeeding in public is a protected act in many states, but in others women are left to fight for the right to feed their child on their own. Ironically, many other countries do not protect the act, but no one questions a breastfeeding mother. Times are changing, but even with laws to protect women and baby, the social stigma is strong. Women are still chastised (and kicked off flights) for breastfeeding in public.

I never thought I would feel so strongly about breastfeeding, but I do. I still think that each woman needs to do what they can for their baby, but if you can breastfeed (and some women physically are unable to), at least give it a valiant effort! It is better for your baby and you!

My biggest regret to date with The Boy is that I did not have any shots of him breastfeeding as a younger baby taken. I am still thinking that I want to get some taken, so I need to get on that! In the mean time-- Happy World Breastfeeding Week (1-7 August)! Celebrate the beauty!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio