Sunday, August 12, 2007

Turning 33...

My friend Kara over at "Land of High Maintenance Granola" wrote about her husband turning the big 33. Kara question, "Which makes me wonder, what will we all be doing when we are thirty-three? Think of six years from now. Where do you see yourself? And will you be surprised if where you see yourself doesn’t happen?" Being the good friend that I am, I am going to do my best to answer.

Where do I see myself when I am thirty-three? This is a hard question, and I think I should start with whether or not I thought I'd be where I am now. At twenty-eight, I am no where near where I thought I would be at this point in my life. I thought I might be married, but I expected myself to be finished with law school...or my PhD... neither of which has happened. I did not see myself with a child, and I thought I would be working my ass off to get ahead. Instead I am married with a young son, not finished with my Master's, mostly a stay-at-home mom and wife, working part-time (if that) from home. I used to be highly motivated and got things done. Now... not always so much.

So-- back to where I see myself in five short years. I see myself continuing to travel the world with my husband while he plays basketball, but between now and then, I hope to put myself first a little more so I can finish my Master's degree and get ahead a little more in my career despite being absent a lot. I see myself working with The Boy on his schooling and learning additional languages. I see myself gaining additional world perspective and blogging up a storm. I hope to have a rough outline for a book...on what? I have no idea. When it comes to the basics though, I see myself exactly where I am. Slightly lost, sliding by, and trying to find myself.

Will I be surprised if where I see myself is not where I am? Not really. If Kevin has taught me one thing it is how to let things happen. Don't get me wrong, I am still a "make things happen" type of person, but with his career, I spend a lot of time flying by the seat of my pants unable to plan.

What about you? Where do you see yourself? If you are over the "magic age" of thirty-three, where do you see yourself in five years?


3 comments:

Claire said...

I just turned 30, so 33 it just around the corner. I do know that in 5 years I will be . . . here . . . well in Germany anyway. I do hope that I begin to write more over the next 5 years. Although with the baby on the way that might be difficult. Isn't it amazing that time just flies by the time you get to your 30s?

ChristinaG said...

Well, I'll be 33 in 7 months, so I doubt much will have changed. I don't know if I'll be working again by 33, haven't made up my mind on that yet.

In 5 years? That's hard, 5 years ago I would have imagined that we'd have moved back to the US, I'd probably childless, with my PhD done, and well into a career. I guess in 5 years I will likely have another little one to take care of, will probably still be in Germany, but I just can't guess any further than that.

Courtney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio