Friday, October 26, 2007

Squish a Boob, Save a life



Recently, I was with someone wearing a t-shirt that said "Squish a Boob," and I loved it. The message was silly, yet serious all at the same time. Needless to say, when I saw the pink Penguin with his message, I thought it was time to dust off this blog again. Part of me thinks this could not come at a better time-- Breast Cancer Awareness month-- even though it is almost over. A dear friend of mine has recently helped her mother-in-law during the treatment and recovery phase of breast cancer. Scary times...

Anyway, as a part of breast cancer awareness month, I would like to remind women that nursing your baby reduces your risks of certain types of cancers, including breast cancer, and the benefit (reduction in cancer rates) increases with the length of time you nurse your baby! A Yale study found that breast cancer rates are reduced 50% if you breastfeed two or more years! The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle found that nursing at least two weeks could provide some reduction. A recent article published by Le Leche League cites studies that indicate an 11-25% reduction if you breastfeed 6-24 months (cumulative for all babies).

So-- Squish a Boob, Save a Life. Make your mammogram appointment. Give yourself self-exams. Find ways to reduce your risk. Squish your boob. Save your life. Pass it on.

2 comments:

Peggy W said...

Here's a site I try to visit every day so that I can click to help fund mammograms for women who can't afford them: http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2

We are so lucky to be in an era where breast feeding is not thought to be weird or old fashioned. I enjoyed feeding my babies---such a special time.

JGoode said...

Hi, I’m the creator of the Pink Ribbon Penguin… I’m so glad to see it living here! Thank you so much for posting it. :D

Variations and the original can be downloaded at MyJGD.com

I’d love to hear from anyone who loves the penguin - stop by and say hi!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio