Sunday, October 28, 2007

Thought of the day

Yes, I am still "stuck" on breastfeeding, but it is dominating my life as I arm myself with information about extended breastfeeding. I always thought my goal was one year, but I do not think The Boy will be ready, and quite honestly, nor will I to wean at age one. So, until he is ready, we will continue on, even if it means that I might have to constantly be defending my/our position...and spend my lunch and breaks pumping.

Something to ponder... from Dr. Antonia C. Novello, during her tenure as United States Surgeon General, Parade Magazine, Nov. 11, 1990.

Mother’s milk is the ideal food for babies because, in addition to providing just the right nutrients, it also contains white cells and proteins that help fight gastrointestinal, respiratory and ear infections. The American Academy of Pediatrics says that babies should be breastfed until age one. (It’s the lucky baby, I feel, who continues to nurse until he’s two).


The AAP goes on in their statement to indicate that babies weaned prior to age two are at risk for increased incidence of illness.

So there you have it... the thought of the day.

4 comments:

KaritaG said...

hey there, that's pretty admirable, it's sort of crazy to me that we know how good it is for our babies but yet let all of the cultural stuff override that! my goal is a year also but I'm open to less or more depending on how it goes!! good luck.

Amanda said...

Good for you, I think each child and mom is/are different. I brastfed our first daughter for 10 months, our second is still nursing at 17 months, but just at night.
Good luck!

Courtney said...

creighton turns one in 5 days. she is still nursing on the upward end of 5-8 times a day and I enjoy it but I am getting tired of it being that often. i'd still love to nurse her for however long, but i really need to wean her down to a few times a day instead of constant! nursing is wonderful...

Jen4 @ Amazing Trips said...

Whatever makes you and the baby happy, says I. Although, I will also say that people who are bf'ing children that are old enough to talk in complete sentences ... that kinda creeps me out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio