Saturday, January 26, 2008

Gotta Get Goals-- A review

Way back in April of 2007, I published some goals on this site. I figure with all of the changes in my life in the past four to six months it is time to revisit the goals to see how I am doing. I'll revise and add newbies in a new post.

Delegation. I will improve my delegation skills. There is no reason for me to do everything and/or to be everything to everyone. When Kevin or someone else offers to help, I will take them up on their offer.
On a personal level, I think I am improving in this area, but there is still more room for improvement. Unfortunately, with Kevin out of the country and my return to the workplace, I am forced to take on even more than before, but when Kevin is around, I am more willing to pass things to him...at least as long as he keeps the ball in the air. Professionally, I am exceeding my own expectations, though some days it is a struggle to let go.
Financial. I will make a financial plan for our family and enforce it. The plan will result in a reduction of our debts without sacrificing all of the fun in our lives.
I thought I was doing a pretty dang good job of this... until Kevin lost his job... and got a new job that doesn't pay on time. Let's just say it is hard to make strides when one person has inconsistent employment. I do think we are living more frugally overall, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Unfortunately when ones husband does not listen to the guidelines it becomes even more difficult.
Stop Obsessing. I am a Type A personality...obsessive/compulsive... and I have a hard time letting things go. When I make a mistake, I often times obsess for YEARS. I am going to work towards letting things go. I can not change them, so there is no need to allow things to eat at me for weeks much less years!
I think I am doing MUCH better at this, but I have to wonder if it isn't because I just don't have time to obsess!??!
Personal Fitness. I have lost almost all of my pregnancy weight, and my goal is to lose it all and return to 115 pounds (52 kg). I think I was a little over that when I became pregnant, but this is my "ideal" weight, and I want it back. Once I am there, if I have a lazy spurt, I will eat less to balance out my needs vs intake.
Check, check. Hate me now. I am below the weight and am setting new personal fitness goals!
Family. I will work to keep my family's needs met without sacrificing my personal happiness. I also will not allow others to convince me that we need another child to make our family complete.
I give myself a 50% completion rating. I no longer give a flying toot that others think we need another child, and I can be rather short about it at times. On the other hand, I think that I sacrifice my personal happiness quite a bit, but that is what happens when you are raising a child essentially on your own.
Personal Growth. I will continue to challenge my mind through continued learning. I will read intellectual/academic articles and other challenging literature rather than all "fluff." I will become more actively involved in issues that interest me, and use my skills to benefit organizations that I support. I will not be afraid to express my thoughts and opinions on controversial topics simply to appease others.
I pass, but this is a lifelong goal.
Personal Time. I will take time for myself-- even if it is simply 15 minutes to read, a short workout, something-- every day!
A big fat F for this goal. I was doing so well...then I stayed behind with a toddler. The closest I get is pumping at work, where I can close my eyes, read, etc without thinking about anything other than how much milk I am pumping and if it will be enough. Needless to say, I don't focus on myself then.

Review of Goals. I will periodically review, update and revise these goals. Life causes perspective to change, which causes goals to change. I was once on a fast-track to a high position in a great company. My goals then were a lot different than what they are now.
Working on it.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio