Saturday, January 12, 2008

A WTF moment...and some positives

First WTF? Seriously. I went to a local mall today with my neighbor. She needed to buy some clothes for her husband. Trust me. This is best. He is REALLY color blind! A couple of men with a child, probably around three or four years old, motion us over to them. We chit chat a bit, and one of the men says to me, "Someone must like chocolate." I was slightly dumbfounded and stuttered a "yes, and my husband is happy about it." The guy without cracking so much as a smile says, "It's about time someone around here does." I walked away...and called Kevin.


Now for the positive. After the mall, we hit Wild Oats. Think Whole Foods on a smaller scale. Actually, WF just bought out Wild Oats, so I expect it to change sometime soon. I am filling up my bulk food bag with some granola when a woman tells me how much she loves my shirt. I thank her, and she tells me she nursed her son until he was three. Considering the issues in my life, I was very happy to hear that, and we talked for a bit. Mostly, she told me how proud she was that I was putting it out there and continuing to nurse. Before departing, she said, "yea lactivism...in Wild Oats. Great job!" Every time I think of the lady now I smile. Encouragement is good. :)

And as I sit here writing about lactivism and reflecting on the past few days, I realized that I did not set out to make a point or promote breast milk. I started this "mission" because with the information I have, I think that breast milk continues to be best for The Boy, and I see no reason to stop what we are doing when it is working for us!

Oh, and the shirt...see below!


8 comments:

Bek said...

It's sad that you have to defend your decision about breastfeeding on a daily basis. It shouldn't be anyone's business except yours and The Boy's.

About the other issue - before I moved here I expected people to be open about mixed marriages here. I was negatively surprised that there still seems to be a separation between the races (I dislike that word alone so much, but everything evolves around that).

Courtney said...

I am glad you reminded me of this site. I took it off my blog role (I don't remember why) and I haven't been in forever. Anyway, I LOVE that shirt...that is awesome. I am still nursing C and I love it. People always look at me weird and sometimes I feel a bit awkward, but oh well...it works and the girl just isn't willing to give it up! sorry about rude comment maker from the mall!

Nancy said...

It is none of anyone business who your other half is..As long as you both love each other an treat each other with respect they should stay out of your private life. There is nothing wrong with anyone haveing a mixed marriage.

Gardner said...

That stinks about the comment at the mall. If only we could love each other a bit more.

KaritaG said...

I will try to post something thoughtful after I pick my jaw up off the floor...glad things are "moving" sort of with the daycare, keep it up!

Maria said...

I should have mentioned that the man who made the comments was black... and, I think, hitting on me. He was attractive and all, but I am totally NOT INTERESTED IN ANYONE BUT KEVIN, and even if I were available that line was a major turn off. I should have told him that, but I just had to get away from that slime.

You'd think I'd be used to that stuff by now, but it still gets me. Oh well...

ChristinaG said...

I say hurray for continuing to breastfeed. It's the best for Amari and I don't get why pediatricians in the US recommend it for the first two years, but the public is so freaked out about it. I plan to breastfeed until Oliver weans himself.

Maria said...

Christina-- Doctor's in the US say (usually, if you have a good one) two things-- AAP and the family doctor group disagree-- one says to nurse six months, which is when most women quit, and the other says to nurse for a year and then until mutually desirable.

Either way, it's freaky that people are so phobic about it here. The sexualization of women and the breast has gone too far, IMO. I'm with you on child-lead-weaning though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio