Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day 2008

It's here!!

HAPPY EARTH DAY!!!

I have covered a few ways to love Mother Earth, but let me add a few more for you to look in to yourself. Some I will be trying. Some I already do. Some I will not go near with a 10 foot pole. Or will I?

  • Go for green toys. I have my favorites, but here are a few general guidelines.
    • Go for wood
    • Go for PVC-free
    • Go for no batteries
    • Go for second hand
    • Go for non-toxic paints
    • Go for locally made
  • Use alternative menstrual products.
  • Re-evaluate your diapering options... or evaluate them for the first time!
  • Walk, bike or use public transportation to get around.
  • Use rechargeable batteries.
  • Use a reel mower.
  • Start composting your waste.
  • Recycle.
  • Buy less "stuff" overall.
What ideas do you have? What are you doing?

6 comments:

Becca said...

I made my own menstrual pads last month and have loved them. I couldn't believe that they were comfortable.

Courtney said...

ummm..i was just going to comment how gross i think the menstrual pads thing is...but maybe that is just me...i on the otherhand just got an IUD put in when Creighton was 6 weeks old and haven't ever started (nor does the doc expect me to at this point) so that is my contribution...not really...but I guess it could be. I have lots of pads and tampons stored up and besides my "afterbirth/recovery" i haven' tused them since october of 2004!!!!

Maria said...

courtney-- I'm actually thinking about switching to the menstrual cup... if my period ever comes back. I'm not on any birth control... just nursing. :)

I used some "traditional" pads during my post-partum days, but other than that... menstrual free since early 2006!

becca-- Way to go! I have heard that about the comfort level... I'm not sure how I'd do it with work, which is why I am thinking the cup would be good for me.

care said...

I'm not a pad fan myself, but I might have to learn a little more about this cup thing. I will research. :)

Maria said...

I'm not a pad person either. The moisture irritates my skin. That's why the cup was of interest.

Peggy W said...

Do you use FreeCycle? Great way to re-use stuff without a lot of fuss. Just post your give-aways and if someone wants it, they come get it.
I'm using reusable grocery bags at Lund's, Byerly's, Kowalski's, The Wedge. I also use a canvas bag that my sister Susan made for me in 1971--complete with a beautiful appliquéd tree on its outside. If I don't need a bag, the merchant can keep it---saves trees, time, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio