Thursday, April 24, 2008

Is it 1950???

I am mad, and justifiably so, if I do say so myself.

Today, Senate Republicans killed the Fair Pay Act. Where was presidential hopeful, Senator John McCain? Skipping the vote to campaign, but that didn't stop him from stating his "peace" about the bill. He's opposed because it will create more lawsuits.

Well, no shit Senator.

His solution to the problem?
"They need the education and training, particularly since more and more women are heads of their households, as much or more than anybody else. ... And it's hard for them to leave their families when they don't have somebody to take care of them."
I wish I were joking. I am being completely serious.

Hey Senator. I am educated. I am trained. Guess what? I still have to fight twice as hard as my male counterparts to be successful, and I work for the damned Federal Government, where discrimination is supposedly protected by our hiring and promotion practices.

And that does not even get in to the rest of the "work related" topics that go with this. Recently, my friend, Kara, was upfront with her concern of maternity leave and a family friendly work environment-- as an attorney. Something that is unheard of in her field. Yet, men in that field and really most any field? They never face the same problems. They don't have to think about how the baby will be cared for. Society as a whole puts that on the mother. If the child is in daycare and gets sick? It's on the mom. She should have stayed home after all. Grr...

Back on track with McCain and Fair Pay.

For decades, people have continued to turn a blind eye to the pay discrimination that women face. Sure, the gap is closing, but the fact of the matter is that it still exists. A host of companies have come under fire for their promotional practices lately, including Walmart, yet women have little legal standing to correct the situation.

Finding another job is not always an option.

Striking? Also not going to work? Can you imagine if all the female attorneys in Dallas or New York went on strike? Right...

Certainly there are more options, but none that I can think of that are viable.


3 comments:

KaritaG said...

What's scary is, by commenting that he thinks there will be more lawsuits, he is implicitly acknowledging that this is a legitimate problem (otherwise, he wouldn't be worried about the creation of a new cause of action), yet by voting against it also implicitly is denying women the right that they would otherwise have under the law! Did that make sense? He's basically saying, yes, I know this is unfair and problematic for society, but I don't care enough to actually give women a method to address the problem...they'll just have to live with it. That's pretty brazenly misogynist if you ask me!

Jen said...

Yep, definitely justifiably mad. As for me, I'm not just mad, I'm furious!

And karitag, yep, that did make sense, and I think you're spot on.

Autumn said...

Oh, wow. This is disgustingly sad. I won't even say more because I am baffled at how to make logical sentences out of this madness.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio