Friday, May 30, 2008

You have got to be kidding me!


If you have not heard about the Rachel Ray keffiyeh fiasco, you must have your head in the sand. When I first heard about it on NPR yesterday, all I could think was that you have got to be kidding me! Has our country/society lost its collective flipping mind? Apparently so. Also apparent is the right-winged fear mongering that has happened post 9/11, and it has gone so far that you cannot wear a scarf without being labeled a terrorist sympathizer... or a jihad temptist!!!

Let's look a little closer...

Do you see it? She's obviously trying to support Yasser Arrafat!


Are we so narrow-minded that the same scarf allied troops are using in the Middle East can only be associated with jihad and terrorism? Did the conservative pundits fail to realize that Rachel's is actually paisley, while the Palestinian version tends to resemble a chain-linked fence? Maybe the problem is that both are black and white, and our simplistic minds are so blinded by paranoia that we cannot be trusted (nor are we able) to separate the people from their accessory? And what about all of those in the Middle East who wear the keffiyeh for its practicality? Are all Middle Eastern people terrorists? If you ask the right-winged folks who think of this stuff, the answer is yes!

Oh, and our service people? They wear the same scarf. They simply renamed it shemaghs in order to separate themselves from those pesky Middle Easterners.

I am so annoyed by this entire "fiasco" that shouldn't really even be an issue! Fear-mongering at its best.

Sound off!

4 comments:

Jax said...

OMG. I am SO with you on this. SOOOO with you. I heard that and my jaw dropped... I hadnt even seen the picture yet..but seriously.. now that I have, it's even MORE ridiculous...Rachel Ray is totally a....terrorist sympathizer? ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?! There was less of an uproar when she posed for Maxim...Lord.

Jax said...

OMG. I am SO with you on this. SOOOO with you. I heard that and my jaw dropped... I hadnt even seen the picture yet..but seriously.. now that I have, it's even MORE ridiculous...Rachel Ray is totally a....terrorist sympathizer? ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?! There was less of an uproar when she posed for Maxim...Lord.

KaritaG said...

I know, I didn't get it either! I was like, are you kidding me?! Who is the columnist again, is she some kind of right-wing freak?! I lost a little bit of respect for DD after they pulled that ad, seriously...

Vicky said...

Just more proof that some people have too much time on their hands and not enough room in their brains. Seriously! That DD had to make a statement on this and even dignified it with a statement is ridiculous!

BTW- thanks for reading my blog and commenting on the breastfeeding video- I commented back to you. Right on!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio