Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Childbirth

Why is it that everyone feels the need to tell a woman how she should birth her baby? Friends. Strangers. With and without their own children. These people feel the need to open their mouths and ask a woman how she will birth. And then... rather than shutting up when a response is or isn't given, they continue on and TELL the woman how she SHOULD do it. It's worse when they don't even have their own children! I have to wonder if these women open their mouth due to ignorance? Or their narrow view of childbirth? Have they done research and still feel as though they should say something? Hmm...

That being said...

It's no secret how I feel about childbirth and unnecessary intervention. The US has a high mother mortality and complication rate-- higher than any other developed nation. US Mothers are dieing, but we don't hear much about it... or the complications and unnecessary medical interventions... decisions made by doctors to make their life easier, not the life of the mother or baby. Yes. Sometimes things cannot be prevented. However, more times than not, women turn their trust to a medical provider whose interest is in the bottom line and making it home for dinner at 5.

For those of you even considering pregnancy, I encourage you to see The Business of Being Born. Look past the pro-midwifery and listen to the statistics. Listen to medical students and doctors tell you why and how they think delivery should be. Then look at how your own body is designed to function-- without intervention. Drugs lead to more drugs. More drugs lead to even more drugs, which lead to a lot of c-sections. And don't get me going on unnecessary c-sections, and those caused by unneeded medical intervention.

My birth plan didn't go as planned. I'm ok with that now, but I still would have done things differently. If I had known then, what I know now, I would have advocated even more for myself and my baby. I wish I had a do-over, but I am still happy with the outcome. There was no c-section. The epidural was allowed to wear off so I could push effectively.

What ruffled my feathers? A comment on a blog... to a pregnant friend... stating that she is "insane" if she even tries to birth naturally. I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does.

3 comments:

care said...

dude, I am SO with you.

gaildahl said...

I completely agree that a drug-free birth provides the best benefits for mother and baby. Thanks for writing on this topic. Best wishes, Gail J. Dahl "Pregnancy & Childbirth Secrets"

KaritaG said...

Eeeeeh, this is touchy for me too! I've been reading "Gentle Birth Choices" by Barbara Harper and it (of course combined with my previous viewing of TBOBB) is really blowing my mind - to the point where I am seriously considering the whole stereotypical Boulder-style all-natural waterbirth thing at a freestanding birth center blah blah blah. I totally hear you, though, since J and I have been reading that book and discussing it with friends (some who have kids, some who don't) we have gotten the oddest responses...I'm kind of like, I didn't ASK you how YOU thought I should do this, I TOLD you how I want to do it...doesn't that deserve some respect?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio