Monday, June 30, 2008

I've taken the plunge. The Diva Cup plunge!

Back in my Earth Day 2008 final post, I made some suggestions reguarding a few more things we all could do to love Mother Earth a little more. Well, today, I took one of those steps myself. At the time, my menstrual cycle was still supressed in the post-partum/still nursing state that it was, so I did not seriously consider alternative menstrual products. Well, last month, menstruation returned, and I hated it. I still do. Then, yesterday appearance two of "The Flow." Unfortunately, I was not prepared, and the CVS near our hotel was closed, so I used some light day style pads to get me through The Boy's nap and such until I could get to Target. Scratch that. If menstruation freaks you out, fast forward through the next paragraph. I'm sure the women reading will share my pain...

So, we had walked from Federal Triangle, to Lincoln, stopping at the Vietnam Memorial, back around through the Korean Memorial... walking back towards the Washington Monument... when I stopped to go to the bathroom near the WWII Memorial. The Flow was there...staining and ruining yet another pair of underwear. What was I to do? I had nothing with me. There wasn't anything available there. I made a makeshift pad out of toilet paper. NOT COMFORTABLE! Anyway...

So, in light of these issues, I thought back to naturemom's post on alternative menstrual products. In the back of my mind, I was thinking, if I only had that Diva Cup, I wouldn't be in the prediciment!  Everything I have read tells me that these are better all around than pads and tampons. Then this morning, I read Rebecca's post on how she enjoys her Diva Cup. So what did I do? That's right! I ordered myself a Diva Cup! It's about time! My personal wish, besides comfort is that I can ruin fewer pairs of underwear! LOL!

I hope it is at the house when I get home Thursday! I'll write another post after I've used it once or twice. I hope to love it as much as everyone else does! :)

6 comments:

care said...

honestly I would love to know what you think of it. I've been considering this myself!

McCool said...

Very interested - I had never even thought about alternatives before. My flow came back last month (you are so lucky that yours held off for so long!) - post your experience next week!

KaritaG said...

yeah, definitely let me know how that goes...I have heard people say they rock, and I have also heard people say they aren't worth the mess/trouble...

Rebecca said...

Are you going to have a tampon & pad burning party with your leftover stock?

Maria said...

I will definitely blog about linking it or not, but it might be a bit. Even if it arrives Thursday, I won't be able to try it until Friday, and hopefully my flow will be out of order at that point!

@Rebecca-- Honestly, I don't have much of a stock, so maybe I'll keep them around for backup? Like a few in my desk drawer in case I start at work? Something like that...

care said...

um, if you choose to get rid of whatever stock you have the appropriate thing would be to donate them to a women's shelter. since they've already been purchase and manufactured it sure would be a waste to just burn 'em...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio