Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Why the hypen

Del asked why I hyphenated my name, and the long and the short of it is that the hypen was a compromise. If I were doing it again, I might do it differently-- either not cave on not changing it or have two middle names. I did not want to change my name, but when I talked to Kevin about it, he was visibly hurt. I wanted to keep my name as it was, because I was fairly established in my career (i.e. people recognized my name in a good way) and well, it's mine-- a part of my identity!

After a lot of discussion, I compromised with the hyphen. It makes it a pain for airline tickets (they remove the hyphen, but then you can't swipe a card for the automated check in), passport to airline ticket matching, and overall length of name! For example, my government credit card can not fit my entire name on it! I won't even try to estimate the number of times I've been asked to spell my name, because the hyphen part throws people for a loop.

So there you have it-- why my name is hyphenated. :)

2 comments:

KaritaG said...

OMG I totally hear you. Jason's feelings were hurt too. Whether that's chauvinistic or not is beside the point! :) That's why I have two middle names. BUT even that is still a pain in the butt...my bank didn't believe me, and tried to say they COULD NOT use my maiden name as my middle name on correspondence until I pointed out that guys named John Michael could so I should be able to too...people that I work with get confused because they don't know how to say it and aren't sure if they should use it at all since it's not hyphenated, etc. etc. I really don't think there is an easy way to do it! I'll shut up about it now.

Del said...

Hey - thanks for the answer. (Sorry I haven't commented - was on vacation.)

Don't know what I'm going to do yet.

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio