Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Nursing in public

I know a lot of women are shy about nursing in public (NIP). I, however, am not one of them. On top of that, my baby never would tolerate a blanket over his head. Back when The Boy was around six weeks old, I wrote a post on why I believe in nursing any time any where.  
Yesterday on API Speaks, there is a post about nursing in public-- more specifically all of the places that Samantha has nursed in public without having a problem. I'm inspired. We hear a lot about women being harassed, but not much on the good side of things, so here is a list of places I have nursed without having a problem.  (it could get long... and I am sure I will forget some.)
U-bahn (Frankfurt and Munich subway)
Dr. Loew's office/waiting room
Deutsche Bahn
numerous German parks, cafes, and public/tourist locations and buldings
US Consulate-- Frankfurt
The in-laws
More dining establishments than I can count in more states than I can remember 
Kevin's basketball games and post-game VIP room
TU basketball games
TU football games
Tailgates
Case Center dedication
Volleyball matches
my cubicle
my boss's office
friends houses
Target
Reasors
Whole Foods
Lowe's
Numerous US doctor's offices
Post-surgery for The Boy (surgical center)
on airplanes (international and domestic)
While someone else was driving the car (me leaning over the baby's car seat)
Almost every rest stop between Tulsa and Minnesota
The President's Suite 
Letterman's Association Board meetings
Metro (DC subway)
in the sling walking around DC
in airports
daycare
church

As you can see, we nurse everywhere. I hope the positive experience I have had encourages others to unapologetically nurse when and where ever their child needs it! :)

11 comments:

McCool said...

That's a great list! I did use a hooter hider at times, more to make others comfortable - but now little B would never allow that as he wants to see the world, not to mention the hider was stolen!

Damselfly said...

You are so lucky. I could never figure out how to hold my son without the aid of a pillow, so I nursed him in public only a couple times, when it was absolutely necessary.

Christina M. said...

I agree. I don't think one should have to hide nursing their EATING babies.

Come by www.mommymatter.com sometime! Tell um Stina sent ya!

Rebecca said...

I love this post. I've never been shy about nursing in public, either. I even nursed my baby when I brought him in to my office to meet my coworkers. We sat at the lunch table in our office's big corporate cafeteria, and I nursed him while everyone (including the babe) ate.

katandkarl said...

so far only at friends houses and in my car! but we are starting to GET OUT MORE so i am trying to calm my nerves/anxiety and JUST DO IT.

Blacktating said...

Well, you know how I feel about nursing covers! The only time I've ever had an issue was when a teacher asked me to cover up because there were high school kids around. I politely told her no. I have nursed my son without incident in Target, numerous restaurants, a hotel, friends' houses, leaning over his carseat while driving, the mall and probably some other places I can't think of right now.

KaritaG said...

You know I don't have kids, but I still read your blog every time you post! So, seeing as how I am the least modest person ever, especially about my boobs (LOL) I'll let you know how it goes when I do it! Great post.

Maria said...

I know I have missed some, but the one that keeps coming to mind and makes me laugh-- while fishing (trolling for Northern Pike) in Minnesota. You should have seen me... nursing, holding the rod, trolling along. It wasn't bad until I had a bite (fish). LOL!

care said...

I just wanted to let you know, reading your blog and hearing your stories? Totally made me want to make a point of learning more about breastfeeding when the time comes. I've always thought I would when I have children, but you have inspired me--I'm not even sure inspired me to what, I'm just know that you have. :)So thank you for sharing!

brooke said...

don't forget the food court at woodland hills mall!

you do a great job of not making it seem weird.

Maria said...

LOL! I forgot the mall! Wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio