Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Women make 78% of what men do.

Fortunately that is an improvement over past years, but it also leaves a lot to be desired. You can check it out over on the National Committee on Pay Equity's website. Here is a short summary.
Census statistics released on Women's Equality Day--August 26, 2008--show that the gap between men's and women's earnings changed by less than one percent from 2006 to 2007, narrowing only slightly from 76.9 to 77.8 percent. Based on the median earnings of full-time, year-round workers, women's earnings were $35,102, and men's earnings were $45,113. Median earnings for women of color are generally even lower, and all showed percentage drops in the last year. In 2007, the earnings for African American women were $31,009, 68.7 percent of men's earnings, a drop of more than 3 percent; Asian American women's earnings were $40,374, 89.5 percent of men's earnings, a drop of 3.5 percent; and Latinas earnings were $26,612, 59 perrcent of men's, a drop of .6 percent.

Quite honestly, it depresses me, so I am going to mull it over before making any broad statements. Thanks to the Oklahoma Women's Network blog for the link to the information.

7 comments:

HalfAsstic.com said...

Indeed, that sucks big time. Now, what to do about it?

Anonymous said...

I love your blog - I learn so many things that I would be totally clueless about!

I need to think more about what I can do to go paper-free. When I am very good, I bring plastic plates/etc to church eating functions because they ALWAYS use styrofoam. We also have our cup in the coffee bar area (it says "What Would Martha [Stewart] Do" which I think is a hilarious juxtaposition. (-: I do use paper towels at home and have used a lot of kleenex now that we have Eowyn and Eowyn's snotty nose... Maybe I need to invest in some cloth handkerchiefs. They must sell them in the "old man" section of department stores! Ha ha!

I can't believe women get paid less - I bet part of is is that we are so long-suffering we just plain old don't ask for enough. Maybe I need to ask for a raise at my job! (-: Actually, I think I did last year and got shot down. Oh, well. winners never quit and quitters never win, as they say.

Okay, enough time on the computer! I am watching Joel and Eowyn play on the couch and it's quite entertaining. I love when my girl laughs!

~eva

Rebecca said...

Outrageous. I have a few personal stories I could share in this area, but I won't. But I can attest that this is true on an individual level.

Maria said...

@halfasstic-- I'm not sure what to do about it. Well, I have some ideas and have been thinking about a post about my ideas, but it is going to take a bit of time and research. Heck, I've spent a week brainstorming ideas and haven't found any one that I think would work.

Rachel said...

This reminds me of an old expression that my mom used to tell my sister and me growing up: "Women have to work twice as hard as men to get half the credit. Fortunately, this is not difficult."

It's probably a good thing we didn't have a brother.

Rebecca said...

I just tagged you. Visit my blog to see what I mean. You need to get posting again... :)

Maria said...

I know! Homecoming is over, and I have a test tonight, and then my life gets a bit back to normal. Thank God! Maybe a tagging is just what i need to motivate myself to finish the half-posts I have done!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio