Thursday, November 27, 2008

Being Thankful in All Situations

This past Sunday Pastor Mike spoke on giving thanks. How appropriate for the weekend before Thanksgiving, right? He has an amazing gift for applying the Bible to every day life.  Before you leave this page because you do not want to discuss religion, I urge you to hold on... the message applies to non-believers as well.

Mike's focus was on giving thanks IN all circumstances and learning the art of contentment.

As a Nation, I think we struggle with both of these items-- we worry about keeping up with the Jones's-- the continual acquisition of "stuff" as a nation and a people. At no time is this more evident to me than during the holiday season.

We spend one day a year being thankful for the things and people in our life when we should be thankful throughout the entire year-- about all things. We should choose an "attitude of gratitude" and "fake it 'til you [we] make it."

I know that I have fallen woefully short of this message in the past year, so I am committing myself to be grateful and thankful in all circumstances and be content in what I have and do. I am going to chose to follow Paul's example (Philippians 4:4-11) rather than the Israelites (Psalms 127: 1-4) and be thankful in all circumstances (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

My cup is not half empty...

...it is not half full...

My cup overflows. (Psalm 23:5)

I am thankful today...

...and will be thankful tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

4 comments:

Moe and Cesha said...

Very nice! Happy Thanksgiving!

brooke said...

i think that is a wonderful sentiment! HAPPY THANKSGIVING YEAR!

Courtney said...

do you remember us both putting something we were thankful for at the end of EVERY post for a long time?! I should start that up again!

Maria said...

I do remember, and I looked back at some just yesterday thinking I should do it again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio