Saturday, November 15, 2008

Fuzzi Bunz + Potty Training = Uncertainty

The Boy is potty training at school, but at home, he does little more than sit for a minute or two. I'm not really worried or pushing it, but if necessary, I might resort to bribery if he continues to use the toilet at school, but not home. We'll see.

I know I said on his own time, and really I'm cool with that, but why is he going at school and not home? So far I have it narrowed down to peer pressure and hand washing. Peer pressure... well, that's obvious. His classmates are going, so he wants to go too! Also, he LOVES to wash his hands. With soap. The sink in his classroom's bathroom is just the right height for a toddler. So is the soap. Dangerous combination.

The Boy's teacher also says that he knows what he wants and when he wants it. I wonder who he gets that from? Anyway, he wants to go at school, so he does. He doesn't want to go at home, so he doesn't.

What does this have to do with fuzzi bunz? Nothing really. He's still wearing them at home, and we still love them. I don't know why it took me so long to start using cloth. LOVE 'EM!

However, sometimes The Boy asks for a pull-up. That's fine. Other times he wants to wear big boy underwear, and that's fine too. Messy, but fine. Tonight, he decided he didn't want to wear anything. That was fine too. He stayed dry for several hours, but then he fell asleep nursing without anything on. Oops.

Potty training. Who knew it was so complicated?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

It's only complicated when it's "training." As you point out, what's frustrating you is that you can't make him go at home, even though he does at school. I think you have the right philosophy of letting him go at his own pace (and therefore removing the "training" piece from the equation). It is frustrating, though, that he's CHOOSING not to go at home even though you know he can! We had the opposite, by the way. Bel would go at home but wore diapers at school. I'm not sure why...

Maria said...

Yeah. I have a hard time switching terminology from Potty Training to Potty Learning, which I think is more like what we have going on. He is learning...on his own time and pace... to use the potty. It's really not a big deal, but it can be frustrating to know he can but won't. I fully expect this to go on for a year or more. LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio