Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yes we can, yes we did.

I am writing from bed, because The Boy called out for his mommy. This is not unusual, but what is unusual is that I sit here with my laptop, watching the election unfold before my eyes. As I watch, I am reminded of the following video...

... and the hope it inspired in millions of Americans. The video still brings tears to my eyes.

What really makes the tears roll? The fact that history has been made, and I can look my mixed race child in the eye as he grows up and say, "yes, you can. You CAN be President of the United States of America." I can say it not based on hope, but based on history. I look at him and see a future with unlimited opportunity. I see another ceiling shattered...a wall torn down.  I see The Dream alive AND attainable. 

Yes, we can.

Yes, we did.

Now what are we going to do about it?

How are we going to continue to engage the masses of new voters that were compelled enough to show up at the polls.

How are we going to unite a deeply divided and wounded populous?

Those questions will shake out in the end. I still believe we are in for more pain before we recover as a country, but for one night (and maybe an extra day), I see nothing but a future filled with opportunity.

And for now... a lot of tears.

I'll be cross-posting this on Life on Both Sides of the Pond. It only seems appropriate.

4 comments:

maggie's mind said...

Yes, we did. And I am inspired and full of hope.

tony said...

That is good stuff you talkin. I feel the same with my mixed raced children,history has been made. but can it continue? Makes me believe more than ever how much prayer can change and anything is possible. be easy
T.Heard

Anonymous said...

I wish President Obama the best of luck. It is our country and his success will help us all. We have moved closer to the day Dr. King asked for when a man is judged by the content of his character not by the color of his skin.

Obama has earned an mandate and should be given a right to try his policies. There may be this bill or that bill that people of goodwill disagree on, but race or even party should never be a consideration. :)

Steve

Rebecca said...

you are right. It's no longer just a hope or a dream. It's a real possibility. Isn't that wonderful?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio