Sunday, December 21, 2008

When things change

I had a post planned in my head. I was going to write about how one person can set off a chain reaction. From that bit of information, the post sounds like it would be quite random, but there is a story behind it. I'll give the Cliff's Notes version.

Friday night, we went to Paul's birthday party. Me and The Boy that is. The Boy was behaving wonderfully. I had brought activities for him and figured we would say hi, hang for a bit while we waited on our food, and get out before 8, which I figured would be his cut-off point.

The service was horrible (one waitress for WAY too many people), so by the time the food arrived, The Boy was antsy. He made a dash for the door, which I intercepted; he went to Paul, but asked to be put down; he went for some tinsel that had fallen to the floor on the steps of the "kid" area, only to have the owner snap at me to control my child (she used other words, but whatever) and keep him in the assigned area (he was on the steps of the area at the time).

Honestly, I cried. Her tone and words were quite hurtful, and I had done everything I could short of walking out without receiving our food or bill.  Actually, I had considered that-- leaving and going somewhere else to eat-- but I was giving the waitress the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly, I was set to discuss this story and how it was weighing on my heart, but then while visiting a blog I frequent, I was directed to another blog post. One that would knock me off my chair. The author, Emilie has been battling cancer, but is now at home being cared for by hospice.  Emilie has two young sons-- one of whom is just shy of nine months old-- and her story is heart warming and wrenching all at once.

Her writing reminded me that in spite of my temporary pain, I have so much to be thankful for right now, and I need not let one person's angry and hurtful words ruin my vibrant spirit. This is the season of light, and I want THE Light to shine on and in me. I want to reflect that Light on to others, and if I allow the darkness to cast a shadow, I am doing everyone around me a disservice.

In a way, this is still a post about chair reactions. However, instead of writing about the negative, I point to the positive. Positive people, while they are sensitive and human, reflect positively on those around them.

Take a minute this week and reflect-- Are you positive or negative? Do you cast a shadow over those around you or do you reflect light?

6 comments:

Bethany said...

I am sorry about the mean owner. We have had some horrible experiences, but other places the staff has been great. It is so hit and miss, and I like to think that some people have just had a bad day.

Steve said...

About every 10 years I throw a fit. This would have been a good time to go Roy D.(Bygawd) Mercer on the owner. See how they like a full fledged scene about a two year old taking one step outside the childs area.

maggie's mind said...

You are so right that it's all about perspective and where we focus our energies. It's not always easy, but sometimes, in situations like this, it can be a pretty stark reminder.

Rachel said...

Children's areas are discriminating anyway. Do we make senior citizens or teenagers sit in certain sections?

Anyway, if any story could help you put that experience in perspective, Emilie's can. Nice post.

Team Ellis said...

Great post Maria!! People always tend to automoatically focus on the negative, but one of the whole purpposes of our being is to be LIKE Christ! We are supposed to remain the light in this DARK, DARK world, regardless to how bad we have been treated or felt like we have been treated. Continue to guard your heart and keep looking at the BIGGER picture! God will def reward you for it! Glad to see the positive turnaround in this post!
BTW-kids will be kids, ESPECIALLY at two!! Youre doing everything RIGHT!:)

Team Ellis said...

Great post Maria!! People always tend to automoatically focus on the negative, but one of the whole purpposes of our being is to be LIKE Christ! We are supposed to remain the light in this DARK, DARK world, regardless to how bad we have been treated or felt like we have been treated. Continue to guard your heart and keep looking at the BIGGER picture! God will def reward you for it! Glad to see the positive turnaround in this post!
BTW-kids will be kids, ESPECIALLY at two!! Youre doing everything RIGHT!:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio