Sunday, January 11, 2009

Addressing CA's Prop 8...Part IV

Part I

Part II

Part III

In Part II, I stated that I think "God does not want his "rules" legislated." I know many people will take me to task for this, but I am ok with that.

There are three paths before the people of the world-- Go alone (follow yourself), Go the world's way, or Go with God. (I actually had that written a different way, but Pastor Mike was talking about it in those terms today and they make more sense than what I wrote!) God wants us to come freely... willingly... not force what we believe to be his will on others. If He wanted to force people to follow him, he would do it, and we are not following Him when we try to force others to believe. In my opinion, that means not depending on legislation or constitutions to treat people well or force them in to Christianity. In attempting to do so, we are not following God-- we are putting ourselves in the center rather than Him.

How? Why? What? Am I insane? I know it is slipping through some readers' heads right now! But think about it...

God wants to have a relationship with us, and relationships are a two way street. He asks us to come freely. He does not force us to be His friend. He need not use rules, laws, and constitutional amendments to force himself on us. We become "right with God, not by doing what the law commands, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be accepted by God because of our faith in Christ--and not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be saved by obeying the law" (Galatians 2:16).

Furthermore, followers of Christ get it wrong all of the time. Some of the most notable had it wrong in the beginning. We have to look no further than the Bible for an example. Saul thought he was doing God's work-- protecting the Jewish faith by persecuting Christians, but God revealed to him on the Road to Damascus that he was not doing His work at all. Saul's conversion to Paul is a mighty one, but evidences that humans on Earth do not always get it right. Our "enemy" today might be our best ally tomorrow.

My question is-- are you SURE you're following God?

Bringing this back to Prop 8-- Using what I know now, legislating Christianity is not the work of God. He needs no law or constitutional amendment to do His work, and neither of those things will save anyone.


Part V will be the last part... summary and all.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio