Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Another Breastfeeding question and an award!

In the comments section of my last breastfeeding questions post, there was another question! Keep in mind that my answer is based on my experience and research. I am not a medical professional. :)

He wants to nurse every hour on the weekends. I assume it's because we don't see each other much during the week. He's 1 1/2. Did you find that you were breastfeeding this often when The Boy was 1 1/2?

This question really had me thinking back, so I went to review some old posts. When The Boy was 18 months old, we were undergoing a lot of changes in our house. Most significantly, Kevin was coming home from six months abroad. The Boy's reaction was stunning to me. He went back to nursing like a newborn (non-stop!)! Looking at other posts, I think he did nurse a lot more on the weekends (maybe not every hour though?), and even now that is the case. The more we are together, the more he wants to nurse. Or rather, the more we are apart, the more he wants to nurse when we are together. If he goes to a friend's house after daycare, the first thing he wants when I pick him up is to nurse. If I pick him up from daycare, this is not the case, which to me means that the additional separation leads him to want an additional reconnection.

On a completely unrelated note, thanks to a comment on another post, I found out that I am nominated for an Okie Blog Award! I am shocked, honored, and excited! If you are an Okie and inclined to vote for me, I thank you. :)



7 comments:

maggie's mind said...

I'm at least one of those who nominated you. :) Someone nominated me in another category, and I was in total shock since I just got here.

Trannyhead said...

Ok - so I just left you a comment on your other post. But I guess you could consider it a question ... like "How best to try to get pregnant if you're breastfeeding and aren't having periods" or something like that. You know what I'm saying. :-)

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

I'm a stay at home mom with an 18 month old and he nurses all the time. I wonder if it's just a phase some kids go through...

Rebecca said...

Ok, so we are normal! Do you, Maria, or any of you readers have any suggestions on whether I should try to limit the nursing to bedtimes and such, or should I just let him go to town whenever he asks?

Maria said...

IMO-- it's whatever you are comfortable with Rebecca. If it is a problem for you, then go on and try to put him off or limit it. If it is not a problem for you or is a problem because other people say it is a problem, I'd leave it be. If you haven't read it, look in to How Weaning Happens. I thought it was interesting and isn't solely focused on how to wean your child, but looks at well... how weaning happens. I'll write more on partial weaning later this week... er, next week since this week is about over!

Tranny-- most women become fertile once their child night-weans or cuts down for a significant period during the day and you don't pump. If you aren't having periods, you might still be ovulating-- just not regularly. I'll post more on that next week. I found out a lot when mine skipped a month!

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Maria. That really helps. It's always good to be reassured by people you trust, you know?

Andrew and I are going on vacation in a few months. We are leaving the country for two weeks - no kids. I suspect the separation for Frank will impact breastfeeding, and I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't breastfeed after that trip. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it spurned on Frank to feed more, either! Sometimes I think he'll never stop. He really, really, really loves mama milk.

Maria said...

I once left The Boy for a week (last May) and thought he might not want to nurse after that... he remembered how and wanted it almost immediately. It was sweet. You never know... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio