Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Call to Action

In November I asked, "Now what are we going to do about it? How are we going to continue to engage the masses of new voters that were compelled enough to show up at the polls? How are we going to unite a deeply divided and wounded populous?"
Well, today is the first day of what are we going to do about it. People were on the Mall before sunrise. The populous is obviously moved. Will they heed the call to action?  
I found his speech to be to the point, and it is increasingly obvious to me that he is a strategic thinker. His 100 day honeymoon to get things done will probably be anything but smooth sailing, as there are many people who will have to change their way of thinking-- not their values, but how they get things done-- in order for this vision to take shape. 
There will be people who disagree. 
There will be people who get their toes stepped on. 
But there is also immense hope. 
Hope in and of a population that has been disengaged in politics. I
believe the engagement of the people is good for democracy. Social learning and an open government, while infinitely more challenging, leads to a better result.
The answers are still to come, but for  now I will drift off to sleep with the picture of a couple in love on my mind.

4 comments:

maggie's mind said...

Again I say, what a beautiful example of family values. Two people married but still gooey eyed for each other and in our White House. I'm feeling hopeful.

♥georgie♥ said...

That pic is breath taking geesh....Yesterday was a day for the history books and I am PROUD to be an American!

Congrats on your 2008 okie blog nom!!!
http://okiedoke.com/ok/08awards/index.html

m-m-m-melissa said...

i LOVE that picture of them. *sigh* l'amour. and i have my fingers crossed for good things...

Rebecca said...

I watched the inaguration twice. I may watch it again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio