Monday, January 26, 2009

Friday Night Lights...

I would have said Friday Night Fun, but the light was shining Friday night. I arrived at the Blog Hoe-Down a bit late. I never get to south Tulsa, so when the opportunity presented itself, I ran a few errands down there. None the less, the event was nifty. The ladies were fun. I was definitely the crunchy hippy chick. Child-led mommy-ing is for me, and I stood alone. However, there were other common traits that had me laughing and enjoying myself. Plus good beer and food. :) Here's our picture... stolen from Dawn. Thanks ladies!
Now, why would I write about the lights? Well, it wasn't the room's lighting or the shinging faces. It was the personal revelation I had while out with these wonderful diverse ladies.
I have been thinking a lot about how I spend my free time, and what I would do if I had more time to myself in the form of a day or two away from The Boy. At the dinner Friday ight, I solidified in my mind, that I really do enjoy spending the time with The Boy, and I would rather not take a two day break from him. I would much rather bring him with me to experiece whatever it is that I am experiencing-- to grow as a family. I enjoy spending time with my son, and if whatever it is that I want to do does not work with his schedule, I probably do not really want to do it.
I'm not saying that I am going to NEVER go do anything without The Boy, but I certainly will be staying with him more than I ever thought I would get to. I used to relish in the precious hours I am away from him to run errands or have dinner. I wanted a break. Parenting and motherhood has definitely NOT come easily to me!
When I started with Attachment Parenting, I never thought I would be the one getting attached. I never thought I would chose to put my son to bed over going to a basketball game. I never thought I would value night time parenting. Yet that is where I am, and I LOVE IT! As much as I enjoy the solitude when I go alone or with company when I am enjoying friends, I really wish I could be chasing my son around... or more likely snuggling with him as he falls asleep.
The Boy is immensely stressful for me, but the reward is infinitely great.

9 comments:

katandkarl said...

great post friend.

for some crazy reason, i thought parenting would be a little easier for me - i have always loved babies and kids! but, you know what? it is hard as hell! thanks for the reminder to cherish this time!

Melinda said...

Great post!

Saw you were following my blog and thought I would stop by and say hello. Wish we'd had more of a chance to visit Friday...maybe next time : )

♥georgie♥ said...

wow what a wonderful post! so good to meet you...wish we had more time to visit!
be safe in this weather things are getting slick out there

McCool said...

Amen!

Rebecca said...

Yup. When did staying home with the kids become the best possible plans ever?!

6HappyHearts said...

Crunchy Hippy Chick?! I didn't see the Birks under the table ; )
You are awesome just the way you are co-sleeper momma! Keep on keeping on.
Your son is blessed to have you as his mommy!!!

Maria said...

LOL! If it hadn't been so cold, I would have been wearing my Birks. Little did you know... ;)

BigAssBelle said...

Parenting is hard as all get out. It's precisely why I'm not one ;-) But I do remember with immense gratitude the time my parents spent with me, including that night time, the times they could have gone somewhere, done something, and instead chose to enrich my life by their presence, or some activity or other. It's quite a sacrifice and at my advanced age, I still try to tell my father regularly what a great dad he is and was and how much that has meant to me.

Um . . I think that sounded sort of like "life is a vail of tears but your reward's in the hereafter" ;-) Sorry. You're doing good work, mom.

Anonymous said...

You never told me what your Friday night event was - blog related, I see? It looks like you had a great time.

You know, I feel the same way about my kids - I love to have a break for a few hours sometimes, but I hate missing too much of their lives. We are going to try and go away for our anniversary (Joel does deserve some attention, too!), but I don't think I could go longer than 3 days total - I just miss them too much! They are just fun and funny and a joy and a delight (also infuriating and annoying and frustrating, but that's because they are little people who are GROWING and that's not the easiest thing in the world to do!).

It's fun to be a mom with you. (-:

~eva

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio