Friday, January 23, 2009

Revisiting an old topic

I was looking back through the blog and found an interview with questions asked by my friend Jen from April 2007.  She asked and I replied:

You said you're going to start to get political on your new Maria-Only blog. If you could meet with one of the 2008 presidential candidates to find out who/what they're about, who would you choose? You can ask five questions which they have to answer completely and honestly (The fairies from above sprinkled a little truth dust!) What do you want to know?

No Republican has declared that I would consider voting for, so they are all immediately eliminated. Of the Democratic candidates, Edwards, Clinton and Obama are the "front runners" in my opinion, and I would want to meet with someone who has a chance, so I could really get a feel for them and their agenda. Therefore, I would pick one of those three.

I have read Senator Clinton's book, and feel that I know quite a bit about her, though I am a little disappointed in her campaign so far. I like detailed plans...and she is being far to PC/general for my tastes. Of course, a good candidate would be, because the President doesn't really get much done without Congress's support. I feel like I learned a lot about her though from her book, so I would pass on her for now, but if I could meet with her, I would pounce on the chance like a kitten on a mouse!

Mr. Edwards has gone beyond expressing ideas and developed some great plans-- assuming he has an agreeable congress, I would look forward to some of his policies becoming law. If he can keep himself together, I think he could be a fine president. I would pass this time on choosing him, because he has been expressing himself so well already.

I would pick Barack Obama. To me, he is the dark horse-- the one I know least about and would love to pick his brain. He seems like a really interesting person, and because I have my fairy dust, I know I could get honest answers to the tough questions. I would REALLY like to know what he thinks about some of the issues.

I want to know:

  • What specifically is your plan for fixing America's healthcare system?
  • How do you intend to clean up the mess that Bush created with Iraq? When and/or under what circumstances can we expect to welcome our soldiers home?
  • Describe the importance of world perception and acceptance of the U.S. and its policies, and what do you intend to do to repair the U.S.'s image abroad?
  • The Supreme Court recently upheld a law regarding a controversial form of abortion without a clause to save the life of the mother. How do you feel about this decision strictly from a policy perspective? Is the life of a woman less important than the life of a fetus? If you could rewrite/write the U.S. policy on abortion, what would it be?
  • How do you plan on working with Congress to accomplish your agenda? How willing are you to compromise your ideas for the betterment of the nation?
I know-- my questions are multi-part, but I preferred to bend the rules with the number of questions rather than write five very long run-on sentences. My sixth and seventh questions would cover tax, environment, energy, and immigration policy.
 
Wow. I guess we will have our chance to find out the answers to some of those questions after all. Too bad I don't have the magic fairy dust to force the truth though. Trust is such a challenging "thing."

2 comments:

BigAssBelle said...

I nominate you to ask the questions the worthless media gasbags will not. It is so frustrating to listen to them blathering on about trivialities when we face so many serious problems.

Maria said...

I'd gladly do it in exchange for the opportunity to also grill Inhoffe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio