Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Babywise isn't Baby Wise, but Mama Is funny!

My friend, Kyle, posted a link to a comic by Mama Is and I could not help but laugh, not just because the comic itself was funny, but because I have felt that way each and every time someone mentions Ezzo's book(s).  I am shocked that parents don't know that the AAP has linked the practices in the book to failure to thrive, low milk-supply, and other medical issues for baby (and mama).

If you want to fail at breastfeeding, follow the advice in this book.

There are truly so many problems with the book, I cannot even go in to them all here, nor do I need to. A quick google search brings the problems to your web browser in just a few key strokes, but equally disheartening is the additional number of parenting books out there that instruct parents to spank on bare skin, adhere to rigid feeding schedules, and expect better behavior out of an infant than is practical.  

Anyway-- check out the comic. It made me laugh.

Sorry for the short tid-bit today. Life is up side down getting ready to go to Milan in March! :)

7 comments:

Amber said...

Thanks for the link to the comic. It was pretty funny. I am a LLL Leader and I actually read Babywise, just so that I would know what it actually said. I share your concerns about breastfeeding, but more than anything it just made me feel sad for the poor little babies. :(

Anonymous said...

Mama Is has some hilarious comics. I have a few lined up myself already for my Wordless Wednesday! :)

Annie @ PhD in Parenting said...

FYI, that last comment was from me, but your blog wouldn't let me enter my identity last night for some reason.

Maria said...

I thought it might be. I had it narrowed down to you and one other person. :)

kate said...

Oh man, I hear people raving about this book all the time and I just don't know what to say. I mean, where do you even begin? I need a quick snappy little thing to memorize that gives the gist of the problem without being offensive. But What's the "gist" even? Like you say, there are sooo many problems with it!

Maria said...

"Failure to thrive" is the gist of it, IMO.

Rebecca said...

You know, that book epitomizes so many of the problems new parents face today...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio