Monday, February 23, 2009

Mathmatical Parenting

On Saturday, Erin posted about the percentage of her time that has passed with her children as dependants using a simple calculation from this blog. While I think the calculation itself is over-simplified, for a frustrated, over-tired or otherwise struggling parent, I think it provides a nice reality check. Even if you are not any of those things, it helps to make the case for being present in your child's/children's life/lives.
(2.17/18)*100 = 12.06%
Where has the time gone? For the most part, I think I have been able to enjoy it and think of the tougher times as passing moments, but sometimes I struggle too. I think we all do at one time or another.When I think of The Boy's life in mathmatical terms, it seems easier to wrap my mind around these struggles as feeting moments, which is the case with most quantifiable activities, but the quality of that time is also important to me.  I do not want to be here, but be distant. I am present in my son's life. What about you? Are you present for your child (or children)?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio