Monday, February 9, 2009

Staying Healthy

In spite of some of the bugs that have visited our home, I wanted to share some of the things we have been doing in the interest our our health. Some of the things I have written about-- nursing, avoiding plastics, reducing our chemical burden in our bodies, organic foods-- and some I have not. When Erin posted her list on Sunday, I went back to thinking about what we do, don't and should be doing.
In no particular order, what we do.
  • Chiropractic care
  • One a day vitamin for me! (Organic and plant derived, not chemical)
  • Eating superfoods in their raw, unprocessed state
  • Working towards an almost completely raw diet (not sure if we will ever make it to completely raw or not)
  • No bleach
  • Natural cleaners-- usually baking soda and vinegar, but we do use some commercially available products.
  • Minimize and avoid plastics in our home
  • Avoid products with undisclosed ingredient "fragrance"
  • Paraben free shampoos, soaps, etc.
  • Organic foods
  • Use the skin deep database when looking for products to purchase
  • No hormonal birth control
  • No disposable menstrual products (they dry the vagina, TSS risk, etc)
  • Exercise (including stretching)
  • Recognize stress in my life and find ways to release the tension or eliminate the stressor
  • Intellectual stimulation-- I find if I am not challenging myself to think, my health deteriorates
  • Taking the medication prescribed for my thyroid condition
  • Making and keeping routine maintenance appointments (teeth, eyes, body)
  • Continuing to seek God and develop my friendship with Jesus
  • Force time to relax-- reading a book, dinner with friends... overall enjoyment activities
  • Getting enough sleep. I need 8 hours or close to it each and every night
  • Don't smoke
  • Monitor all items in our life for their chemical load, potential toxins, etc
  • Limit dairy intake
This is not so say we never stray from the bullets above. For example, The Boy and I have a Sunday morning tradition of arriving at church early for a donut. A donut. Not ten. I have occupied The Boy with donuts in the car before as well. We eat out at restaurants that do not serve food like I would make for our family, and we eat at others homes without imposing our diet restrictions.
What I'd like to do better
  • Eat more raw foods
  • Eliminate all four legged meat from our diet
  • Exercise even more
  • Garden in pots so I have better control of our food
  • Reduce our dairy consumption overall-- fewer cheeses, etc.
I am sure there are more. I always think of more when I hit "publish post!"

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I bought some Dr. Bronners Soap to mix with my vinegar and water. It helps with the vinegar smell and is natural--it is at Target with the Burts Bees stuff.

Anonymous said...

What is the attraction with a raw diet? I understand not cooking out the vitamins etc with veggies but bleeech.....I get the pure cafe menu weekly for a giggle more than anything.....raw enchiladas? yuck.....there are too many delicious things that are cooked that I wouldn't give up on....

Tala

Damselfly said...

You're great! I need to do a much better job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio