Sunday, March 1, 2009

Is it good to be content?

There are a lot of adjectives to describe how people feel in their relationship with God. Satisfied. Happy. Loved. Protected. Comforted.  Very few would say content. Maybe content to rest in His arms, but to describe the relationship? I can not remember seeing anyone ever say they are content with the relationship. 
I know He does not want me to be content. I am not talking about being content in my life, with what I have, but rather in seeking Him.
In order to understand where this is going, consider what a relationship is and what content means.
relationship: A state of connectedness between people (especially an emotional connection)

content: Contained within limits; hence, having the desires limited by that which one has; not disposed to repine or grumble; satisfied; contented; at rest.


If I were truly content with the relationship, I would no longer desire to seek Him. My desires would be limited by the current relationship. I know of no relationship in my life that I am so content with that I do not continually seek to advance it, so why would I do it with the most important man in my life, Jesus?  (Sorry Kevin. ;-) )

Why do I write this? Because I find, at times, I become complacent and content. I become too comfortable with where I am that I forget to continually seek who He wants me to become.  I read books I am comfortable with. I pray comfortable prayers.  I act in a comfortable manner. I am content with where I am. I am content to read the same passages over and over rather than stretching myself, seeking new friends, reading and exploring positions and topics with which I might not agree. I cannot fully discover His vision for my life if I limit myself in my content-ness.

This post is my reminder to be discontent-- to continually stretch myself in seeking Him.

Are you content with your relationship? Do you find your content-ness or lack there of to be where you want and need to be? There are no right or wrong answers. Remember, Jesus is writing and grading the test. Not me. Not you. Not your pastor or friends. :)

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Content is not a word I would use to describe my relationship with God, but you know, I would like it to be. I would like to be satisfied and, well - content - with where I am. Do you think we are content in heaven?

Maria said...

In my opinion, content with our Earthly goods, etc is different than contentment with our relationship with God. I think we taught through the Bible to be content with the the former, while the latter is the opposite. However, I do think I will be content in Heaven. Peter tells is (1 Peter 2:11) that we are "aliens and strangers in the world," and it is repeated throughout the New Testament, including the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke, that our treasure is in Heaven. Yes, Peter was talking about Christians walking among pagans, but in my opinion, non-believers will not be in Heaven.

Anyway, Yes, I think I will be content in heaven. :)

Team Ellis said...

Of course, b/c how can anything be better than Heaven?!?

Anonymous said...

Maria - I think you're exactly right. There is a reason that it's uncomfortable to fast, for instance. Have you heard this prayer? I think it's very powerful, and what you wrote reminded me of it. Ellie =)

"May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships so that you will live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people so that you will work for justice, equality, and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war so that you you will reach out your hand to comfort them and change their pain into joy.

May God bless you with the foolishness to think that you can make a difference in the world, so that you will do the things which others tell you cannot be done."

Angel said...

The Bible tells us to "Be content in whatever Circustances we are" Paul to Cyrus in romans.
It is not always easy, because if we were totally content our relationship would be perfect and as long as we are on earth that can't happen. Content in Heaven? I doubt we'll care about those things being in His presence.Human feelings will have no basis. Atleast in My opinon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio