Friday, March 6, 2009

Quotes to Ponder

"The 'control of nature' is a phrase conceived in arrogance, born of the Neanderthal age of biology and philosophy, when it was supposed that nature exists for the convenience of man."
- Rachel Carson, Silent Spring (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1962), p. 297
"As man proceeds toward his announced goal of conquest of nature, he has written a depressing record of destruction, directed not only against the earth he inhabits but against the life that shares it with him."
- Rachel Carson, Silent Spring (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1962), p. 85
"Can anyone believe it is possible to lay down such a barrage of poisons on the surface of the earth without making it unfit for all life? They should not be called 'insecticides,' but 'biocides.'"
- Rachel Carson, Silent Spring (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1962), pp. 7-8
I have been working on a series of posts on women and the environment. Really, I could write a book, I think. I have previously written several papers of the twenty page variety, but those are not really suitable for this blog. I am, however, trying to pick some important themes to cover. If there is any specific topic you would like to read my thoughts on, let me know.
In the mean time, if you have not read Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, I highly recommend it. Though environmental improvements have taken place since the 1960s, new toxins spring up around us each and every day. Much of what she writes in Silent Spring holds true today. The domination, rather than stewardship, of men (and women) over nature continues to bring about environmental issues over and over again. It is a hard lesson to learn-- one which is constantly being repeated. New chemicals and new products, but many of the same results. 
Silent Spring was one of the first books on the environment that I ever read. I have read the book four or five times, and I am looking forward to reading it again this spring. Some books never become obsolete.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Maria,
I HIGHLY recommend the book Refuge, by Terry Tempest-Williams. I think you would really enjoy it. Check out her bio on wiki, interesting lady.
- Amy

Melodie said...

I still need to read this. it has been on my list of books to read for years! Thanks for the reminder!

Maria said...

Amy-- I'll add it to my wish list!

Melodie-- Please do. I consider it a MUST READ for everyone. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio