Friday, April 10, 2009

We are starting a garden

Well. I have made the leap. I am starting a small garden. I hope it expands in the future, but I figured it would be better to start small.  We are still participating in our local CSA with Three Springs Farm. We love Mike and Emily, and they offer high quality produce without the use of agrochemicals at a reasonable price! (I am going to be asking them to do a short interview later this summer, so if you have any questions for them, let me know.)  At the same time, I wanted to produce extras of certain things so that we can have them during the week and in the late late fall. The growing season in Oklahoma is unbelievably LONG!
In doing some calculations, with the investments we have had to make in order to get this production going, I figure it will take us two or three years worth of planting/harvesting to cover some start-up costs.  This is primarily because we are using some self-watering planters for some of the produce. Also, I bought some sprouts, tomato cages, and an upside down pepper grower for Kevin's fancy. I might be most excited to grow greens, spinach and sprouts indoors all year round.  If I can grow at least some of the food myself, I can save a lot of money in the long run while maintaining our focus on health and proper nutritition! 
Where is The Boy in all of this? Helping me!  He loves to help plant seeds, and he even planted some of his own items.
I'll try to get pictures up of our fun soon!
You can find a local CSA and other local producers on LocalHarvest.org

2 comments:

care said...

have you tried the upside down planter before? I think it might work really well for my space! (I have a patio and there's a deck on top, so there's plenty of room for hanging plants!)

Maria said...

I have never tried it, but a coworker told me that a friend of his had them all over the garden/yard growing tomatoes last year. I am not sure if it is the same as the one I am going to try using, but cleanairgardening.com has a bunch to chose from. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio