Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Going Local: Farmer’s Market

One of my favorite parts of each weekend is heading out to the Cherry Street Farmer’s Market. It is just a few miles from my house, farmer’s come to me (essentially), and I get my pick of farm fresh eggs, sour cream, cheese, breads, vegetables, and fruits (just to name a few things!).  Our Saturday morning ritual is so engrained in our lives that The Boy, at two and a half, knows we go to the farmer’s market to get “begetables” and a pastry. He helps us to pick out food, and when he wants to try something that I have no idea how to prepare, I buy it, and we experiment as a family.

As with Natrual Farms, one of my favorite parts of the farmer’s market is getting to know the vendors, asking them questions, and being able to know how they raise their product, their purpose in farming, and even how to prepare items. As a result, I find that I gravitate towards vendors who are rather like minded in the food department. Knowing how they farm and treat my food is important to me!

There are quite a few farmer’s markets in the Tulsa area and around the state of Oklahoma. I usually go to the two below. Well, I go Saturday. My husband goes Wednesday when I am at work.

Cherry Street (15th and Peoria) Saturdays 7-12

Brookside (41st and Peoria) Wednesdays 8-12

Do you use a farmer’s market to find your produce?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im assuming you live in a rural area, and supermarkets are probably miles away.

Maria said...

Your assumption is incorrect.

Anonymous said...

You should be happy im vising your blog, as I am the only one who takes time out of my schedule to comment.

Maria said...

You assume incorrectly that my happiness is derived by the comments on this blog.

dulce de leche said...

I am so glad you posted this! I've been thinking that I would prefer to start purchasing local, and you gave me the impetus and info I was looking for. Thanks! :)

Maria said...

Dulce-- Tomorrow's post is on community supported agriculture and contains more direct information on finding some local resources. Glad to help. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio