Monday, June 22, 2009

Why DC? Why now?

Back in "Yo Mo! Where have you been?" I mentioned that I would be applying for a temporary (developmental) position in Washington D.C. Well, th
e good news is that I was selected and will be heading out there in early July. The bad news is that I have been selected and will be heading to D.C. in early July.
How can this possibly be good and bad all at once?
Obviously, I am an active attachment parenting (AP) type. My husband travels a lot, but when he is home, he is also in the AP genre. Leaving our son for three months is heart wrenching. I love his smile and view of every day life. Three more months without my husband is hard. He is my better half. However, I also know that I am not truly leaving them for three months.
How can that be?
Kevin and The Boy will be in D.C. for portions of the time-- as much of a portion as Kevin can muster with his necessary workouts. The temporary promotion (not to mention per diem) will cover the cost of their tickets back and forth several times.
Why D.C.? Why now?
Yes, as I said in the "Yo Mo!" post, I am making some changes in my position and career path based on the career progression and variety I think best makes use of my talents and skills. Do not misunderstand me. I love what I do. I enjoy my job and am content where I am, but the moves (D.C. and switching positions when I return) will allow me flexability in the future.
So-- why D.C. specifically?
Many don't know, but I was origionally scheduled to take a 30-60 day assignment in Dallas for the summer. Circumstances beyond my control delayed that assignment from starting as scheduled, and just as I found out, my Division Chief asked if I would be interested in the D.C. assignment. When the announcement first came out, I sent it to Kevin to gather his thoughts but dismissed it, because I did not think we could commit to the six months the assignment would require. However, the Division Chief told me that I did not have to stay that long, so after talking with Kevin, I applied.

Truth be told, I did not believe I would be selected. I am under qualified. I suppose, that is why it is a developmental assignment-- so I can develop, right? I still think that I was selected because no one else applied. (I'm going to ask when I get there.) We struggle to fill the spots in D.C. No one appears to want to move there, though I am not opposed to moving there permanently... so far. We will have to see how the three months goes before I say one way or the other.
So-- why D.C.? Why now? Because the stars aligned. I am admittedly nervous about leaving The Boy and Kevin for so long. After all, it is usually Kevin leaving, not me! However, this opportunity is great, and I believe there is a purpose in it for me beyond professional development. I am drawn to this assignment, and it is drawn to me.

A lot of words to describe a complex personal situation... a lot, but probably not enough. Thanks for reading my blubbering. :) The reward? A reminder of how great D.C. was to me and my family last summer!



6 comments:

Jennifer and Anthony said...

Maria - Congratulations! I know this will be such a trying time, but in the end I am sure it will be a great experience. I bet you and your family will be much better for this experience. I will be thinking of you as you prepare and head off.
Jenn

browniegiz said...

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference--Robert Frost

McCool said...

Congrats Maria - this sounds like a great opportunity and experience for you and the family!

Rebecca said...

Good luck, and congratulations!

Angel said...

Maria, Congratulations! I have friends in DC who love it there. What a wonderful opportunity for you!

Rachel said...

It sounds like a great opportunity! Our region is lucky to have you here. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio