Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday Feature: FactCheck.org

A while back, I think around 2004 or so, I discovered a website called FactCheck.org.  For a long time, like most people, I would listen to multiple different arguements before digging in to try to sort out was factual and what was... well ... we'll give people the benefit of the doubt and say not completely true. Along came FactCheck.org whose Mission Statement begins:
We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.
I will say, FactCheck.org is not the place for information if you want someone to support your opinion 100% of the time. It is simply impossible not to, at some point, cringe as a candidate, position, or commercial you thought to be true is proven to have said/presented/done something that is not factual or is misleading. Sad, but true, and yet, now that I am in DC with a little time on my hands, I am more actively engaged in politics and policy than I have been since...well, probably college, and I appreciate their work all the more. Plus, anyone who knows me well knows I like a good discussion, and I like my discussions to be full of information. 
All this to say-- Friday Feature-- Factcheck.org. Check them out!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio