Sunday, August 2, 2009

Breastfeeding and my church

I have to admit openly that I really do love the church I attend. People are warm, accepting, and loving. This isn to say there are not strong opinions to be found, but that we engage regularily in civil discourse, acknowledge difference and continue to love one another without belittling any person's position. Our common ground binds us together. At least that has been my experience. 
What does this have to do with breastfeeding?
I have been incredibly comfortable breastfeeding anywhere and everywhere on our church's grounds. Quite honestly, most people did not even notice I was doing it unless they walked right up to me and tried to interact with The Boy or if I was nursing him at the book club. 
Some might not agree with my decision to nurse on his cues or in church. Some might not agree with our decision to continue to nurse beyond six months, a year, or even two years. But lucky for us, no one in our church was willing to make it a dividing issue. I was (am) respectful of others, and they of us. 
Did you breastfeed at your church? Under what conditions or circumstances? 

3 comments:

dulce de leche said...

Yay for you, the Boy and your church! :) I, too, nurse anywhere and everywhere. Our church has a nursing moms room, but I'm just as comfortable nursing right in the sanctuary. After all, Jesus was breastfed, too.

Hippie Housewife said...

To me, church has always seemed the most natural place to breastfeed - what a perfect system God designed for us mothers to nurture our babies - and I was so blessed to have a church family who felt the same way. I nursed my baby in our church through his first year and occasionally afterwards as well, and I never once received a negative comment about it.

sarah said...

always just pop Lucia right on during the sermon. I've only used my nursing cover once and it was because it was time for communion and I did not want to make the young boys feel uncomfortable, though they probably would not have even noticed. Otherwise, I've just fed during the service, and even out in the gathering room post-service, no one has ever seemed to mind at all.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio