Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A big part of what life is about...

Relationships are a big part of what life is about.* At least I think so. While this has been on my mind for over a week, I did not blog about it, but then my friend, Erin, posted this quote on Facebook, and I felt compelled. 

"Busyness rapes relationships. It substitutes shallow frenzy for deep friendship. It promises satisfying dreams, but delivers hollow nightmares. It feeds the ego, but starves the inner man. It fills the calendar, but fractures the family. It cultivates a program, but plows under priorities." -Charles Swindoll

For the most part, I am a minimalist. Sure, I like certain "things," but overall, I would rather spend time with my family and friends than own a bunch of stuff. I enjoy developing friendships and keeping them, and truth be told, I am fiercely loyal to my friends. 
At the same time, I am guilty. I often times am running around caring for The Boy, working, trying to keep the household running that I go days or weeks without calling some of the people I care most about. One could argue that those people also did not call or visit me, but truth be told, why does that matter? Why am I allowing busyness to come between relationships? I wish I had an answer. What I do know is that I am going to continue to work on putting people first. After all, what better way than to show that people are important--To act instead of simply talk about it?
What about you? Do you push people aside to accomplish "stuff"? What do you value more? Do your actions speak louder than words?
*Relationships and love go together like bees and honey. :)

3 comments:

Melodie said...

I'm guilty of letting my blog come before my family sometimes. Not usually but when I'm in the middle of an important post or research, it's hard to drop everything. I always end up feeling guilty, remembering that before my blog I was always available. But I guess mama needs some mama time too.

Steve said...

Balance in everything. When the barn is on fire is no time to set down and write an old friend. When a family member is sick or in need is no time for reports and projects.

We'd like to set aside time for relationships, but sometimes the modern world doesn't want to allow it. Our Colonial ancestors wrote copies letters and maintained personnal journals that were not only diaries, but contained favorite quotes, and just facts that they wanted to remember. Today such things as lunch conferences get in the way. The guy who invented them should be shot.

That's all I have got to say about that.

Steve

Kelly's Ideas said...

Very thought compelling blog. Thank you.
Love,
Kelly
http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio