Monday, September 28, 2009

When weaning REALLY happens

I went to DC and back, and The Boy was still nursing, but towards the end it became uncomfortable. I would say the alphabet or sing two songs, switch sides if he wanted, and that was it. Then he started skipping a day or three, because he knew that mama had no milk and it hurt. When he asked to nurse again, we did, but now it's been over a week. He no longer asks to nurse at bed time. He no longer asks to nurse at nap time. He no longer asks to nurse any time.

Weaning happened.

I wish I could say I feel happy or sad, but in truth, I feel both. I am happy for his new independence. I am happy that he now asks to have someone rub his back and or snuggle at bed time. I am happy for the freedom this gives us both. At the same time, I am sad to see the nursing end. It was a part of us... a part we can never get back.

The Boy watches as our neighbor nurses her baby. He knows that's where the milk comes from, but he doesn't ask.

I will write more about what happened...how it happened, but for now all I can say is weaning happened.

3 comments:

dulce de leche said...

Hugs to you both! Only one of mine has weaned so far, but we also had the full range of emotions--being pleased at her new maturity, excited about being able to eat foods that she was allergic to, but also a little sad that something that had been a (usually) happy part of every day for years was gone.

Rebecca said...

Beautiful.

McCool said...

Thanks for sharing this story Maria! I still nurse my two year old most mornings, though sometimes I find myself with mixed emotions, especially as I am also nursing a three month old every two hours (or pumping while at work!). I love that you nursed for three years and let natural weaning take its course. You did what works best for you and your family!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio