Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bye bye shampoo...and deoderant

I have not been writing a lot about my green living lately, but a few weeks ago, my friend, Erin, asked me for some tips on reducing her chemical burden. It was just the spark I needed to get ramped up to write about some additional changes in my life. I hope to write on these topics in more detail very soon. Here's the Cliff's Notes version.

First, I have ditched the deodorant. I ditched antiperspirants a while back. In the summer, I was using Tom's, but I am committing myself to nothing at least until the ridiculous heat of Oklahoma returns, at which point, I will probably use a crystal again.

Second, I have slowly been reducing my use of shampoo. I would shower and massage my hair, but only use shampoo once a week. Well, yesterday a green blogger I love posted an article in which her blog was linked to from a local paper. I started today with baking soda and vinegar. I figure if it totally does not work for me, I can try the shampoo soaps listed in the article. In a few weeks, I should have an update!

I am a fan of baby steps in my changes, and these are just two more on the path.  Are you doing anything new an exciting?

3 comments:

sarah said...

Wow girl! Impressive. I cannot go five minutes post shower without deodorant or I am sticky and gross and smelly. Seriously.

Be sure to update us on the new shampoo cycle. I only wash my hair three times a week, but not sure I could go without shampoo.

I applaud your efforts to take care of our earth.

Maria said...

Thanks Sarah. When I write the longer posts, I'll explain why it's not just taking care of our Earth, but our bodies. The chemical burden we place on ourselves inhibits our bodies natural functions. :)

Erin said...

I have also been taking small steps here and there. I started a few years back ith trying to find more natural products, but was relaly just trying to replace all I had with more organic things.

Then I added in the cloth diapering. I also slowly stopped using paper products (except for the occasional picnic).

Now recently with your encouragement, I think I have been better simplyfying. I have gone to showering 3-4 times a week. I have now eliminated all hair products and am using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I have replaced cleaning products around the home with baking soda and vinegar. I have eliminated many of the make-upa nd body care products I tend to use as well. It feels great to go simpler!

You also got me away from tampons and sanitary pads onto the Diva Cup! One mroe thing I am not throwing away now:)

We are now starting to use rechargable batteries. I also don't have paper towels in the house for the first time ever! I still have napkins and tissues though!

It has been baby steps and I have enjoyed the freedom of not having so many chemical and disposable items in our home. Thanks for your encouragement!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio