Friday, November 6, 2009

Activism and Advocating (and a contest)

When I wrote about arrogance, I am sure that some would conclude that the only way for me to be humble would be to stop advocating for issues that are dear to my heart.  In the past few weeks, I have spent a considerable amount of time praying, thinking, replaying, thinking and praying about how to be a loving person while advocating for positions and causes in which I believe. Yes, I am going to continue, and yes, I think these issues are important-- to me and to others.

I know not everyone will be happy or like everything I say, but I also know that activism is working for change. Change is not easy, but if I simply sit and pray, who will be the feet? Who will do the work? Sometimes sitting and waiting is the answer, but sometimes we are called to be the hands and feet too. My hope and prayer is that I do it while loving those in disagreement.

And so... the contest.

Post on your blog (and leave a link) or Facebook or leave a comment describing how you balance humbleness with activism.  I will have The Boy draw a name from a hat a week from today. You can earn a bonus entry by tweeting the contest. The prize?  Your choice-- a $25 itunes gift card or a 27 ounce kleen kanteen bottle.

Next Friday, the Friday Feature will return! :)

12 comments:

Erin said...

What date do we have to complete the entry by?

Erin said...

Ok, sorry! I just saw a week from the 6th, whcih would be Friday. Sorry for my slowness;)

Maria said...

Yes, on Friday the 13th, I will have The Boy draw. No need to apologize. :)

Heidi said...

You know me...always up for a chance to express myself. Gaining a little something is simply icing.

care said...

I did it! http://fortytwostrawberries.blogspot.com/2009/11/who-will-be-feet.html

thanks for the contest, maria!

Bethany said...

http://pgfmommy.blogspot.com/2009/11/activism-and-humbleism.html

there is is...although it is a little random.

Maria said...

Random smandom. ;-)

A. Domestic Engineer said...

done and done... "activating activism"
http://desperatelyreal.blogspot.com/2009/11/activating-activism.html. thanks for the topic Maria, i truly enjoyed it!

Carol said...

Great topic. I might blog on it, but it'd be too late for the contest, so here's the gist of my thoughts:

You don't NEED to be humble when you advocate for something you believe in! Let your full passion show through. Be tolerant and listen to other views, of course, but advocating MEANS throwing yourself fully into your beliefs. Do it with gusto and with vivacity; save the humility for times when it's required and more appropriate.

Carol

Carol

Maria said...

You commented Carol, so as long as that is what you do, it counts. :)

ANHD said...

Here are my thoughts, in blog form. :)

http://an-hd.blogspot.com/2009/11/humble-activism.html

Erin said...

Ok, finally got mine done
http://marriedtoaballer.com/activism.htm

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio