Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday Feature: Kindle app for iphone


I have not blogged much about my favorite applications for iphone, but I have to give a shout out to the Amazon Kindle application. I held out for a long time, but I wanted to have something I could read in bed while The Boy slept next to me when I didn't want to get out of bed after snuggling with him while he went to sleep. Plus, I like to read, and I have been missing the opportunity to read at the drop of a hat.

My husband had been using a Kindle for six months or so, and he liked it, so I decided to try out the application on my iphone. Quite honestly, I love it. I love being able to read in line, during lunch, in bed...everywhere! I tend to use the black background, because it is easier on my eyes (dark room, bright light), but I have not noticed any fatigue in my eyes from reading on my phone.

The books do not seem very expensive, and I am able to use it for my book club reading as well. The application allows you to take notes and bookmark pages too, which I did not know at first, but now that I do, it is on! If you have an iphone and like to read, you might check it out.

Do you have a favorite application or tool on your phone? What is it?

4 comments:

Erica Lum said...

I've been hesitant to jump on board with the Kindle app because it just seems that it would be difficult to read on such a small device. How long did it take you to adjust? Since I own a digital book reader by Sony (international wireless wasn't available at the time for Kindle) I have completely converted to an e-book lover when I'm overseas. Do I need the Kindle app too? Am I really missing out!?! Please help! Oh, and I don't have an iphone, but I'm assuming the app is available for the ipod touch too.

Maria said...

It didn't take me long to adjust at all. I dug it from the start. I use the black background with gray/white text, so it doesn't hurt my eyes. The bright white with black is troublesome to me for some reason. If you have a sony reader, I don't know that you're missing out. I don't own a kindle (Kevin does), I like that I can have my phone and be able to read anywhere. It is available for the touch. The app is free, so you could download it and one book (usually under $10) to test it for yourself. :)

Bethany said...

I really like the kindle app. I have "purchased" a bunch of classics for free! I like being able to read anywhere and it is pretty inconspicuous...I read in class sometimes :)

Erica Lum said...

Okay well I might just have to give it a shot. I just LOVE my Reader and cannot even believe all of the time and energy that I wasted lugging books half-way around the world. I rarely use my ipod touch when I'm not traveling but it might be something fun to play with and have for a backup in case something terrible happened to my Reader! And am I dreaming...or did you mention that there is a Kindle app for Blackberry in the works? Now if that's true I will really be on board!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio