Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Christmas Memory: Christmas Eve and Midnight Mass

Growing up, I remember always spending Christmas Eve at my mom's parent's house. I think there might have been one Christmas where there was too much snow to get there...way back when we lived in the white farmhouse down the road from my dad's parent's house, which means I was less than six and my parents were still married. Of course, that's also why I don't remember the details. Ha ha! 

Back to the normal Christmas Eve.

We would go to Grandma and Grandpa's, often times in the afternoon while Grandma was still getting everything ready. I would go with the other cousins and my youngest aunts and uncles. We would sled down the big hill across the street (often times crashing), ice skate and generally freeze outdoors. Sometimes we would play pool downstairs. We would watch the fire between turns, and when we returned upstairs, the HUGE kitchen table would have all of the leaves in it and be pushed against the wall. It would be overflowing with food. We would eat until we couldn't eat any more than then manage to eat more.

Some years "Santa" (read one of my uncles or a family friend) would come and deliver us all an early present.  There would be card games, usually poker or ten-and-a-half, but sometimes other games, and we would pack up to go to midnight mass.  Honestly, I can't remember how many times we went at midnight, though I know we did go when my aunt, Rose, was playing her trumpet.  The HUGE Catholic church in Watkins was always packed.

When I got older, I think, we stopped going to midnight mass, as Grandpa would be asleep by then, but Christmas Eve at their house lives on with a lot of food, gifts, cards, and a lot of fun.

2 comments:

ANHD said...

Sounds like fun :) What a great memory!

ANHD said...

Sounds like fun :) What a great memory!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio