Thursday, December 3, 2009

A firestorm and some perspective

While I don't generally blog about it over here (that's what my family blog is for, right?), my husband is a basketball player, which has real challenges and consequences on our lives.* It also brings great job and opportunities.**

A friend of mine, Erin, was recently quoted in a CNN article titled "Life for wives of pro athletes no 'fairy tale'."  One thing I admire about Erin is her ability to keep things in perspective.  Quite honestly, I thought some of the comments after the article were especially sharp-tongued, and many of them are directed at someone I care about and my own life, which makes them especially hurtful. Yet when I returned to Erin's blog to offer her some support,  knowing she was probably being bombarded with comments and emails, I found her response to be much more gracious than my own. I encourage you to read her response.

"The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." -- Luke 6-45

*We spend six to nine months of the year apart, etc.
**We've been able to travel, etc.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Sigh.

I only read a couple of the comments... just viciousness devoid of empathy, restraint, or simple politeness. You know, reader comment threads on big news sites are pretty much interchangeable no matter what story you're looking at, no matter what source it's on (even the NY Times website, for crying out loud).

Some people just don't know any other way to build themselves up than by sniping at others, I guess. And the Internet gives them the perfect place to do it -- enjoying anonymity and/or cheap notoriety.

Thumbs-up to Erin for not playing their nasty game.

Erica Lum said...

Maria, I too was amazed at the negativity including everything that was posted on the FB page! There is so much hate and deceit in this world and I too was hurt by many of the comments. Keep your head high and I hope your day finishes better than it started!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio