Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday Feature: Tulsa Clean Foods Market

It is no secret that I am a fan of local foods, and Tulsa has a growing local food movement that provides a lot of great opportunities to eat foods raised by smaller farmers. Downing Family Farm has started the Tulsa Clean Foods Market as a way to get their product to locals during the  non-Farmer's market months-- namely winter. It seems to me that each week they add a new vendor, and it is great to be able to research the origin of the food I eat and feed my family. I like being able to talk to Kathy on Saturdays about how the food I purchased is raised, and I also appreciate that the Downing family welcomes customers to visit their farm.

The online market simplifies my life as well, because I can order online on the weekend, pick it up the next weekend, and then have food for the next two weeks. This set up also saves us money, because I am not in a grocery store as much and am planning ahead for our meals. Admittedly, we don't eat a lot of meat or dairy, but we do eat a lot of eggs, and I like to order my chicken from them as well. The more vendors they add, the more I find to order.

If you are in the Tulsa area, consider using Downing Family Farms and the Clean Foods Market to meet your needs. If you are not from Tulsa, where do you purchase your foods? Do you visit with local farmers? Co-ops?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio