Monday, December 28, 2009

Gotta Get Goals III review edition

In the past couple of weeks, I have been doing some heavy thinking about life. OK. Let's face it, more like for the last six months or more, but the past couple of weeks it has been amplified. A lot has changed in 2009, and as I look back, I realize I am hardly the same person now as I was a year ago. Rather than lament on, I am going to review my past goals, which is long overdue, and soon I will post my next round of goals. Some will be carry overs... some will be new.

Accepting help. I am keeping this one, because I want to keep it in the front of my mind that help is ok!

I think I have finally figured this out to the point where it is a habit!

Financial. We will stick to our budget, rid ourselves of any and all high interest debt, and made defined progress towards financial freedom. I have really been doing a lot of reading, thinking and praying, and I have come to the conclusion that we cannot fully enjoy life while incurring debt at the rate of other's in similar situations and age groups, so I want us to pay down our debt as quickly as possible, and yes, that includes our mortgage. The Jones's can keep buying too much, but we will live within our means and be good stewards of our finances.

We have made significant progress, but after taking the Crown Financial Ministries seminar, we are working towards some new financial goals.

Personal Fitness. My new fitness goal is to return to working out (cardio and abs as a minimum workout) at least three times per week. I failed at this, so it stays. I will work out! I will become toned!

I failed again. I did so well for a while...only to fall down on the job, so to speak. Grr... frustrating, because I love to work out.

Family. I will focus on keeping my family centered-- focused on our needs and happiness irregardless of societal and extended family pressures. I will insure that my family is more important than other menial tasks and my job, and I will spend time with them having fun even if chores need to be done!

I think we had a lot of fun as a family.
 

Education. I will graduate!

Check!!!


Personal Growth. I will continue to challenge my mind through continued learning. I will read intellectual/academic articles and other challenging literature rather than all "fluff." I will author (and co-author) articles and submit them for professional considerations via presentations at conferences and publications. I will continue to be actively involved in issues that interest me, and use my skills to benefit organizations that I support.

Check!

Spiritual Growth. I think this is the first time I've ever considered goals in my spiritual life. It's a long story as to why, but I have really felt inspired by my friend Erin lately. My spiritual goal is simple-- to learn more about the Disciples, since I call that my church home and to do a daily devotional.

This was an amazing year for spiritual growth for me, and I can't wait to see what 2010 brings!

Personal Time. I will take time for myself at least one night a week, and I will read for pleasure!

Check check!

Books. I own a lot of them. I will inventory my books, create a record of each book I own, and donate the books I no longer want or need.

I think until I have a place to store and sort my books, they will have to stay how they are. Sad but true.

The House. I will paint the ceilings, trim and our bedroom!

Kind of... we got the ceilings done in the main portion of the house and trim in other rooms, but not all of it. DC ruined that, and we have new house priorities!

The Environment. I will continue to stay abreast of environmental developments, work on my compost and start a garden in pots. I will finish our landscaping project and purchase an outdoor drying line!

Check check, and no check on the drying line. We did get a lot of other stuff done though, and I'd like to finish the landscaping this year. We might be selling the house, so some plantings in the back would be especially timely!

Review of Goals. I will periodically review, update and revise these goals quarterly!

Big fat BOO! for me!


5 comments:

Dawn said...

You are such an organized person! Your goals are awesome. I really should try setting some sometime. Ha!

I'm very happy for you that you are growing spiritually. You will be forever blessed.

I wish you all the best in 2010!

Erica Lum said...

Great list Maria, thanks for sharing. Although I laughed about the fitness goals...boy have I fallen off the wagon too (and I was doing so well)!!! Maybe we can get an online fitness club going like you've done with the basketwives book club!?! I need some motivation -- although I guess I should already have it with the wedding creeping closer and closer.

Maria said...

Great idea Erica. Maybe you could start it? :)

Erica Lum said...

Ha ha Maria, you're a funny lady!

Erica Lum said...

Okay...I wasn't done writing and it went through! Sorry!

Anyway, I don't think I'm organized enough to get a fitness group started yet alone get my own okole (Hawaiian for you know what) to the gym. But I do hope for some motivation to become more active and live a healthier life. Maybe a combo of blogging and online inspiration from my friends will help! We'll see...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio