Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A little poem...

I was sent this poem to my inbox by a friend before Christmas, and then I saw it on another person's blog, so I thought I'd share it here too. I've been sick and so has The Boy, so my motivation to write and be creative is a little low right now.

Some sites claim that it was written by Maya Angelou, but Snopes says otherwise. The words are often time changed by others, but here is the real deal.

When I say, "I am a Christian"
by Carol Wimmer

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not shouting, "I've been saved!"
I'm whispering, "I get lost! That's why I chose this way"

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't speak with human pride
I'm confessing that I stumble-needing God to be my guide

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not trying to be strong
I'm professing that I'm weak and pray for strength to carry on

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not bragging of success
I'm admitting that I've failed and cannot ever pay the debt

When I say, "I am a Christian," I don't think I know it all
I submit to my confusion asking humbly to be taught

When I say, "I am a Christian," I'm not claiming to be perfect
My flaws are far too visible but God believes I'm worth it

When I say, "I am a Christian," I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name

When I say, "I am a Christian," I do not wish to judge
I have no authority--I only know I'm loved


Copyright 1988 Carol Wimmer

1 comments:

Blessed said...

Wow, I love that! Short and powerful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio