Saturday, January 2, 2010

Reading in 2009

2009 brought a lot of changes in what and how much I was reading. I know a large part of this was due to completing my Master's Degree, but I did not read as much as I would have liked either. Most of my reading has been done in the last third of 2009, and truth be told, I was very happy to have a break from some of the academic reading I was doing, which I never include on the list. Hmm... maybe I should rethink that one?

I rediscovered fiction, which I had not been reading for a long while because I have a hard time letting go of reality. I had been so focused on reading parenting books and doing research that it occupied all of my time. I found some good fiction with the help of friends though and am back reading in that genre.

My reading has also been diversified thanks to joining two different book clubs-- one virtual and one with a monthly meeting.  I really enjoy the groups-- both are unique.

If I had to pick one book from the list that was life changing or an "I'm so glad I read this and am going to revisit it regularly," I would pick "Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate." I don't agree with absolutely everything in the book, but overall it is a great book that led to a lot of self-reflection and significant changes in my life already. I hope to revisit various chapters on a regular basis. My favorite fiction book on the list was "Kite Runner."

Here's to more great reading in 2010!

2 comments:

melissa said...

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is great! I used that for years because I cannot be on hormonal birth control due to migraines. Now I have a copper IUD and I love it (not the Mirena, because it has hormones).

I also highly recommend NurtureShock. http://www.nurtureshock.com/

Maria said...

You are the second person in the past four days to recommend NurtureShock. The reason it is on my "maybe I will read it one day...maybe not" list is:

It is firmly on my "maybe to read" list for a couple of reasons, namely but not solely:

-- many of the studies used are flawed. It is my understanding that it some cases the authors recognize this and then draw conclusions anyway. (specifically on race and race when talking about corporal punishment; corporal punishment when dealing with control groups (it is nearly impossible to find a child whom has never ever been hit/spanked... Ever.))

-- the authors essentially ignore studies in opposition to their position. This is especially evidenced by the ignoring of many studies on corporal punishment.

-- a recent article in Newsweek-- Specifically the discussion on behavior and corporal punishment, which I have but one quick retort to irregardless of science (see previous bullet)-- a battered wife likely "behaves" better than an unbattered wife.

Do I agree with some of what they put forth? Sure (praise, for example), but the inherent flaws pointed out by people I trust combined with my family's personal goals and means in parenting have caused me to be lukewarm on the book. Maybe some day it will make it's way off of maybe, or maybe it will keep getting pushed back.

Truthfully, I have not read a parenting book in a while, because I was driving myself crazy, and I found myself far too often inclined to judge others parenting. I needed a timeout, and 10 books or so later, I still have not returned. I have been a happier and nicer person for it. Or so I think anyway...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : header image by Vlad Studio